Contact at organisation: Kristine Wallace, Guide Dogs of America
Job Purpose: Supports the Training Manager for the service dog prison training program located in the San Diego area.
- Assist in transferring dogs from inside the prison to and from the training van.
- Handle and train dogs during weekly dog training outings in the San Diego area, socializing & desensitizing dogs to public environments in preparation for becoming a service dog.
- Assist with weekly classes located inside the prison.
- Maintenance of program van, organizing equipment and taking inventory as needed.
- Transporting dogs to appointments as needed.
- Assist in testing and training evaluations of dogs.
- Gathering and filing documentation to ensure compliance with accreditation standards.
- File training log reports and veterinary documentation electronically.
- Take photos and videos of training sessions as needed.
- Must pass a prison background check to enter the prison, attend an annual orientation and abide by the policies and procedures of the prison as well as follow directions from Correctional Officers and other prison staff in order to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Working within a prison environment
- Adhere to all CDCR standards of behavior and dress code.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Stand, walk long distances outdoors in all weather conditions, push, pull, reach overhead and bend to the floor.
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds; must possess the physical strength to lift healthy, potentially strong, large breed dogs.
- Ability to handle and control a large breed dog in order to demonstrate the training exercises being taught.
- Ability to exert 20 to 50 pounds of force including pushing or moving objects.
- Visual acuity required for ability to see and read dog’s reaction to environment and distractions, ability to read forms, documentation and computer screen.
- Hearing ability required to interact with dogs, trainers, students and volunteers in an informal way and/or by providing instruction through seminars or training exercises.
- Drive and operate safely personal automobile.
- High school graduate or GED.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must work well as part of a team and in a team environment.
- Working knowledge in MS Office365 (MS Outlook, Excel and Word) and experience with data entry.
- Must be comfortable walking through a prison yard and interacting with prison inmates.
- Maintain a well-groomed and professional appearance.
- Good written and oral communication.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.