Contact at organisation: Michal Anna Padilla, Guide Dogs of the Desert
Join a dedicated team providing exceptional guide dogs out of beautiful Palm Springs, CA.
The Guide Dog Mobility Instructor (GDMI) is responsible for training dogs to be qualified guides and for instructing qualified clients to travel safely and effectively with those dogs to enhance their mobility. The GDMI has over three years’ experience working as an instructor for a school certified by the International Guide Dog Federation. This position will require working some weekends and holidays. During class training, an Instructor may be required to work up to twelve (12) hours in a given day.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Trains dogs to be responsible and effective guide dogs.
- Instructs qualified clients to travel safely and effectively with a trained guide dog.
- Assists with the selection of dogs for use in the program, ensures proper routine care, health care and maintenance for the dogs.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90+ pounds, with varying strength and manageability.
- Participates in evaluating dogs as they progress through training to class-ready status.
- Participates in the planning and scheduling of client training, matching dogs to clients and class training activities.
- Maintains written and computer records, according to established procedures as set forth by the International Guide Dog Federation.
- Provides after graduation assistance to clients – addressing questions and concerns relating to health, behavior and mobility of the working guide dog team.
- Participates in field working, involving travel as needed, when assigned.
- Provides training and evaluation of dogs in the Puppy Raising Program, including participating in obedience class and puppy raiser events.
- Attends conferences as needed representing the organization.
- Participates in admissions meetings to evaluate new and reapplying clients.
- Willingly works with and mentors GDMI apprentices.
- Willingly participates and represents Guide Dogs of the Desert for internal and external events, meetings and promotional activities.