Contact at organisation: Krista Mathews, Guide Dog Foundation/America’s VetDogs
Puppy Advisor – NY (Suffolk County)
Status: Full Time
Pay Rate: $21.03 per hour
Under the supervision of the Puppy Program Manager, provides training, arranges temporary homes, and puppy socialization. Supervises volunteers in opportunities for proper raising, puppy behavioral modification and socialization activities of puppies meant to maximize the dogs’ success as guides or service dogs.
- Teach engaging, relevant material to puppy raiser volunteers.
- Provide and instruct current, up-to-date training methods and philosophy approved by Foundation.
- Prepare Puppy Raisers and their dogs for guide dog training.
- Manage information on every dog in their string to provide Puppy and Training
- Departments with dogs’ status and potential at pre-IFT meeting.
- Proficient interpersonal and communication skills. This includes interacting with consumers and staff effectively and professionally.
- Withstand repeated bending, stooping, kneeling and squatting.
- Withstand sustained, brisk walking in all weather.
- Self-starter with the ability to lead others and work independently.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Able to safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
- Possess near acuity and accommodation to see and read dogs’ and students’ reactions to the environment and distractions. Ability to hear to interact with dogs, students, volunteers, and trainers in an informal way or by giving formal instructions through seminars and training exercises. Ability to hear above traffic and other outside noises.
- Ability to communicate via voice mail and email efficiently. Should be capable to perform tasks in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Demonstrate high standards of professional conduct.
- Work weekends, evenings and holidays, including overnights in residence as needed.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license in good standing and must be able to drive a car, van or bus.
How to Apply
To apply email your resume to email@example.com.
We offer competitive wages, a comprehensive benefits program which includes an outstanding 403(b) plan, tuition reimbursement, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, generous paid time off, and more.