Contact at organisation: Christine Brogan, Guide Dogs NSW/ACT
Phone: 1800 436 364
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Trainee Guide Dog Trainer to join our team at the Guide Dog Centre in Glossodia on a two year fixed term contract. Reporting to the Training & Dog Supply Manager, the purpose of the role is to train high quality dogs to meet the outcome standards set by Guide Dogs NSW/ACT and to ensure a consistent supply of high quality Guide Dogs is produced annually, to meet demand. The successful candidate will complete internal specialised training (practical and theoretical) to become an IGDF accredited Guide Dog Trainer.
Key responsibilities include among others:
- Maintain timely and accurate administration of dog details and journey through training;
- Observe and interpret canine behaviour to inform training practices;
- Deliver dog training and ensure client goals are used to inform practices and outcomes; and
- Liaise and work with internal teams as required.
- To be considered for this opportunity you must demonstrate:
- Experience and confidence in dog handling, behaviour and training; while being geared toward the continual improvement of skills;
- Skills in the identification, communication and solving of problems;
- Excellent time management & organisational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate sensitively and respectfully with all internal and external stakeholders;
- Good organisation skills including task prioritisation;
- Enthusiasm, energy and drive to undertake repetitive work that is both physically and mentally challenging; and
- A current NSW driver’s license with a good driving record (unless disability precludes from eligibility).
This is a highly physical role with outdoor duties, walking and extensive contact with dogs. Applicants must be physically fit to undertake the inherent requirements of the role.