Location: 611 Granite Springs Road Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
Contact at organisation: Deidre Hannigan
Phone Number: (914) 243-2238
Address: 611 Granite Springs Road, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
Guiding Eyes for the Blind provides guide dogs to people with vision loss. We are passionate about connecting exceptional dogs with individuals for greater independence. Guiding Eyes for the Blind is dedicated to creating and supporting life-changing connections between people and dogs.
At our facilities in Yorktown Heights, NY, and Patterson, NY, we breed, raise, and train exceptional dogs. Then we connect them to people who are seeking increased freedom and independence, so that together, they can experience all kinds of life adventures.
This is an assignment for a 3-year development program to train for a potential role as a Guide Dog Mobility Instructor.* In this program you will prepare assigned dogs to a state of readiness to be matched with a person who is blind in Guiding Eyes’ guide dog instruction program. Educate, instruct and train assigned students who are blind in the use, care, and maintenance of a guide dog. Complete all reading, written and oral assignments. Provide a positive emotional, behavioral, and physical environment for all assigned dogs. Provide advice and assistance to graduate guide dog users via telephone and personal contact. Participate in public relations and public education events.
This position will report to our Yorktown Heights, NY campus, Monday-Friday. Ability to work a flexible schedule is a must – including nights, holidays, weekends as needed.
- Train dogs as assigned, to a condition of class readiness in obedience and guide work skills
- Instruct students who are blind/visually impaired on becoming a guide dog handler with their assigned dog while participating in Guiding Eyes training program
- Participate in daily cleaning, disinfecting and other routine maintenance of the kennel and associated facilities
- Assist in daily feeding and monitoring the diets of all dogs in the kennel facility, with special attention to dogs assigned specifically to the GDMI – Trainee
- Provide a constant positive image of Guiding Eyes through appropriate dress and conduct while working with dogs or students
- Participate in public relations and public education efforts by giving talks, presentations, demonstrations, and tours of the training school and/or training kennel
- Must be comfortable wearing and working under a blindfold for extensive periods of time and complete a 5 day under blindfold experience during a class in session
- Experience working and training dogs and/or teaching people who are blind or visually impaired
- Demonstrated ability to communicate at a high level both verbally and in writing
- Valid NYS driver’s license
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays to fulfill the requirements of class assignments or student need
- Must be able to travel by car, train, airplane as required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Outlook Suite
Comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (Med/Den/Vis) and 403(b) plan
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F, D/V
Must be authorized to work in the United States.
*As an assignment, after the 3-year program has ended, there is no guarantee of employment nor a guarantee of becoming a Guide Dog Mobility Instructor.
The above job description is intended to be a general description of the requirements and duties of this assignment. It is one of inclusion, not exclusion. Any Guiding Eyes for the Blind employee must be willing to perform tasks not specified within their job description, so long as those tasks are in the best interests of Guiding Eyes for the Blind and are tasks which the individual is capable of performing.