Contact at organisation: Cathy Binyildiz, Guide Dogs for the Blind Inc/GDB International
Guide Dog Mobility Instructor – Field-Based
Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc. and/or its affiliate, GDB International
Let your commitment to our mission guide you here.
The largest guide dog school in North America, Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc. and/or its affiliate, GDBInternational (GDB/GDBI) is seeking a dedicated and qualified Guide Dog Mobility Instructor support the organization in a full-time role serving our Canadian clients. We will rely on you to assess applicants who are blind or vision-impaired, match trained guide dogs with clients, and provide clients with the training to ensure safe, effective, independent mobility. You will also be responsible for providing a broad range of phone and field-based services, including direct follow-up assistance. In this role, you will:
- Conduct home interviews of applicants for admission and evaluate their skills and needs;
- Assess and make recommendations for rehabilitation or training when applicants need intermediate services;
- Conduct home visits and assist clients with routine to complex guide work problems or crises, dog care, training and behavioral issues;
- Provide clear and accurate reports on assigned clients and dogs and recommend whether to keep dogs in service or retire or replace dog;
- Participate in GDB/GDMI-sponsored orientation and mobility seminars and continued assessment classes.
- Qualified Guide Dog Mobility Instructor;
- Required legal authorization to work in Canada and willing to undertake significant overnight travel both nationally and internationally with the ability to obtain a passport;
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and public-speaking skills;
- Strong ability to efficiently organize, multitask and prioritize work to meet deadlines;
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and collaborate with team members;
- Working knowledge of electronic record keeping;
- Ability to handle a variety of dogs, some weighing up to 90+ pounds, and to lift up to 40 pounds;
- Current driver’s license and insurance.
The largest guide dog school in North America, GDB/GDBI creates inspiring partnerships between people, dogs, and communities. With exceptional client services and a robust network of instructors, puppy raisers, donors, and volunteers, we prepare guide dogs to serve and empower individuals who are blind or have low vision, throughout the U.S. and Canada. Our team includes approximately 300 employees and 3,000 volunteers, supporting 2,300 working teams (clients and guide dogs).
At GDB/GDBI, we respect, value, and appreciate all differences. We welcome all qualified candidates irrespective of your race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Individuals with disabilities, especially those who are blind or visually impaired, are encouraged to apply. If you have a disability and need assistance and/or accommodation with applying for a job, please feel free to contact our Human Resources department.
How to Apply