Contact at organisation: Deidre Hannigan, Guiding Eyes for the Blind, Inc.
Email: Linda Stanley, email@example.com.
Guiding Eyes for the Blind provides guide dogs to people with vision loss. We are passionate about connecting exceptional dogs with individuals for greater independence. Guiding Eyes for the Blind is dedicated to creating and supporting life-changing connections between people and dogs.
At our facilities in Yorktown Heights, NY, and Patterson, NY, we breed, raise, and train exceptional dogs. Then we connect them to people who are seeking increased freedom and independence, so that together, they can experience all kinds of life adventures.
A highly motivated individual who has the unique task of evaluating, training our running guides, and placing running guides with students. Ability to demonstrate, understand and apply the values of Guiding Eyes for the Blind. Provide a positive emotional, behavioral, and physical environment for all assigned dogs. Provide advice and assistance to graduate guide dog users via telephone and personal contact. Participate in public relations and public education events.
This position will report to our Yorktown Heights, NY campus, Monday-Friday. Ability to work a flexible schedule is a must – including nights, holidays, weekends as needed.
- Evaluate dogs that have been recommended for Running Guides
- Prepare Running Guides for placement
- Works with Running Guide volunteers to help prepare dogs (no guide work)
- Conducts Running Guide training portion of student training (campus or home)
- Will work with a small string of dogs
Key Performance Indicator: Average success rate of 55% – 60% with assigned dogs; Yearly Performance Review: 50% is job performance and 50% is ability to demonstrate, understand, and apply the values of Guiding Eyes for the Blind
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Moderate client experience
- Moderate guide dog training skills
- Experience as or current Guide Dog Mobility Instructor
- Able to lift 40 pounds and handle large, active dogs
- Able to maintain a pace of 4.0 miles per hour if needed when working with a guide dog
- Maintain a running guide average pace per mile between 9:15 and 10:40 minutes
- Stand for long periods of time; walk long distances indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions (average of three to ten miles per training day)
- Valid NYS driver’s license
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays to fulfill the requirements of class assignments or student need
- Must be able to travel by car, train, airplane as required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Outlook Suite and Salesforce
- Day trips as needed or assigned
- 0 – 30 overnights per year
- Airline travel within the U.S. and Canada
Demonstrate, understand, and live the values of Guiding Eyes for the Blind.
- Kindness, Empathy and Respect
We treat our colleagues, clients, volunteers, and dogs with kindness, empathy, and respect, creating a culture of trust.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
We listen to diverse opinions and work together in an inclusive way to achieve our common purpose.
- Innovation and Openness to Change
We continuously learn, grow, and evolve our ways of working to enhance the quality of our services, our dogs, and our training. We are resilient in the face of change.
We own our work, our words, our actions, and results, in a reasonable way, while supporting those in our care.
We put our clients first and seek to exceed their expectations by supporting them with exceptional dogs trained to meet their unique needs.
We have unrelenting passion for matching the right dog with the right person so they can live the life they want to live.
Proof of Covid-19 Vaccination Status
Guiding Eyes requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for at least two weeks before commencing work. New hires are required to present proof of their vaccinated status, such as their CDC Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card or an official immunization record from the jurisdiction, state, or country where the vaccine was administered; or a New York State Excelsior Pass, or a New York City COVID Safe Pass.
Comprehensive benefits package including healthcare (Med/Den/Vis) and 403(b) plan
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F, D/V
Must be authorized to work in the United States.