Contact at organisation: Alima Connan, Guide Dogs for the Blind
Salary Range: $106,000 – $144,000
Bring your leadership and expertise to our breeding program.
If you would enjoy taking a leadership role in the breeding program, breeding dog placement services, and breeding volunteer oversight for the largest guide dog school in North America, consider joining Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael, CA. We are seeking a Breeding Manager to ensure that we maintain a breeding colony comprised of the number and quality of dogs needed to support our training needs, as well as ensure the optimal placement of breeding program dogs with custodial caretakers.
What You’ll Love
- Ensuring the quality, health, and temperament of our guide dogs in support of an impactful mission
- Sharing your knowledge and expertise with the autonomy to make suggestions for improvement and better results
- Collaborating with an outstanding team that are leaders in the field in breeding, training, and caring for guide dogs
- Working on our beautiful campus in San Rafael, California
- The option to bring your own dog to work!
What You’ll Do:
- Select breeding stock internally and externally and oversee placement of breeding stock dogs in suitable homes and programs
- Analyze performance data and the use of estimated breeding values, then plan mating and whelping to produce the quantity of dogs needed and the behavioral standards projected to optimize success as a guide dog and meet our ability to serve clients
- Implement new reproduction-related technologies, consult with outside and staff veterinarians on health concerns that may have genetic implications, and recommend and analyze breeding alternatives
- Collaborate with the Medical Director to oversee GDB’s theriogenology services, facilitate theriogenology continuing education for relevant staff, attending veterinarians and externships
- Undertake natural breeding procedures and routine artificial inseminations as needed and perform artificial or transcervical inseminations utilizing fresh, chilled, and frozen samples
- Participate in long-range planning to meet the goal of providing state of the art whelping, neonatal, and puppy development housing
- Collaborate in the development, application, and monitoring of puppy health and social development tools for neonates and puppies
- Incorporate the use of computer technology to streamline tasks and record keeping and to effectively analyze aspects of the program for further refinement or improvement
- Identify and pursue research opportunities
- Actively manage performance of department
- Prepare department budget and operate within approved parameters
- Collaborate and exchange information and breeding stock with other service dog schools around the world
What You’ll Need:
- Strong track record of success in breeding or well-developed and provable knowledge in the principles and practices of animal breeding and knowledge of associated heritable disorders
- Excellent understanding and experience in dog behavior, physical characteristics, modification, and management techniques, as well as safe, effective dog-handling abilities
- Proven experience in management and supervision, with the ability to lead others effectively and deliver excellent constituent and customer service
- Strong analytical, communication and presentation skills
- An undergraduate degree, coursework, or other study in genetics desirable
- Ability to work some weekends and undertake travel
Guide Dogs for the Blind
At Guide Dogs for the Blind (GDB), we believe that everyone deserves to move through the world safely and confidently – to live the life they want to live. As the largest guide dog school in North America, we have graduated more than 16,000 guide dog teams from across the U.S. and Canada since our founding in 1942. GDB not only improves mobility for our clients, we further inclusion. Join our team of more than 300 employees and share your passion for our mission.
At Guide Dogs for the Blind, we respect, value, and appreciate all differences. We welcome all qualified candidates irrespective of your race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Individuals with disabilities, especially those who are blind or visually impaired, are encouraged to apply. If you have a disability and need assistance and/or accommodation with applying for a job, please feel free to contact our Human Resources department.