Contact at organisation: Christina Fenton, Southeastern Guide Dogs
Southeastern Guide Dogs seeks a Service Dog Instructor at our newly renovated, purpose-built campus on Florida’s West Coast. Our mission-driven organization breeds, raises, and trains guide and service dogs that transform lives.
This is an amazing opportunity to work alongside a close-knit, supportive team training world-class dogs. The program trains and places exceptional dogs into careers benefiting veterans with disabilities. Gaining confidence from these dogs, veterans expand their lives, regain mobility and independence and re-integrate into their communities. At Southeastern you will find an entire organization that not just supports the mission but embraces it. Best of all, you’ll have work-life balance in a charming community with top-rated schools, beaches, arts, and entertainment just a stone’s throw away.
This position starts at $18-$19/hour with the potential for increase commensurate with experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize your certified service dog experience via training our superheroes to prepare them for what they were destined to be
- Ensure the emotional and physical needs of our dogs in training are met
- Be a core team member in on campus class selections and training and follow up graduate training.
- Adhere and promote positive-reinforcement training culture
- Demonstrates excellent communication and teaching skills with students during the training process and follow-up
- Provide exceptional experiences and successful training for our service dog students before, during and after class
- Periodically participate in demonstrations and presentations with volunteers, staff and our guests
- Create and maintain a culture of innovation and continuous quality improvement
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Maintain a high level of productivity throughout the workday
- Embrace and promote an atmosphere of positivity and collaboration
Education, Certificates and Experience Required:
We are currently seeking individuals who already hold a certification as a Certified Service Dog Instructor to Assistance Dog International (ADI) standards OR have significant experience as an animal trainer and educator. This is not a posting for our Apprenticeship program.
- 2+ years of consecutive professional dog training experience as a Certified Service Dog Instructor with an ADI Accredited School, or equivalent professional animal training experience as determined by the Director of Training
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including travel up to 10% of the time if required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Animal Behavior, Education, Biology, or similar field preferred
Professional dog training certification:
- Certified Instructor with an Assistance Dogs International (ADI) accredited assistance dog school, or ability to become certified within 3 -6 months of hire is required
- Other professional dog training certification is highly preferred (CPDT-KA, KPA CTP, CDBC, IAABC-ADT, Academy for Dog Trainers CTC graduate, or equivalent)
- The organization pays 100% of the premium on the base medical, dental and vision insurance as well as covers $15k in life insurance and offers a 5% retirement plan match for all benefit-eligible employees.
- Our PTO policies are very generous (12 – 20 days per year depending on tenure) + Plus we offer a variety of opportunities to earn additional PTO
- We recognize 11 paid holidays per year – even your birthday is a holiday!
- Chef-prepared lunch is available for FREE on campus (Monday – Friday)
- Local candidates: opportunity to bring your well-behaved, pre-screened dog to work