Contact at organisation: Loretta Quis, Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc.
Position Title: Manager of Guide Dog Programs
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
The Manager of Guide Dog programs is directly responsible for the staffing, supervision and training of personnel in the Guide Dog Foundation Training Department and for maintaining a level of excellence in both dog training and client instruction. The Manager will provide other departments as needed with training-related support and scheduling staff for home interviews, client follow-up, puppy raising events, and other ancillary duties.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure that the Training department is adequately staffed and supervised for dog, client, and staff training and organized to assist with home interviews, client instruction, client follow-up, and other ancillary functions.
- Develop and implement staff education and training related to clients, dogs, and instructors encompassing modern technology, training procedures and employee development to foster a high level of excellence. Undertake performance reviews, recruiting and discipline as necessary.
- Ensure sufficient dogs are available for training and class and that quality standards are consistently followed in the final blindfold testing for all class-ready guides.
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Qualified guide dog instructor with a minimum of 3 years’ experience. Managing or supervising experience preferred.
- Ability to travel; work weekends, evenings and holiday, which could include overnights in residence as needed.
- Authorized to work in United States.
- High school diploma or equivalent; B.A. college degree preferred
- Valid driver’s license in good standing and insurable at normal rates. Must be able to drive car, van or bus.