Contact at organisation: Barbara Kleiner, Guide Dog School Liestal | VBM | Blindenhundeschule Liestal
Phone: +41 61 906 3000
The Guide Dog School Liestal | VBM, has been a provider of guide dogs for the blind for decades and for a few years now also assistance dogs for people with autism, of various breeds.
We are committed to ensuring that all people have the opportunity to actively participate and be included in society. As a nationwide dispensary of guide dogs for the blind, we feel the need to be as geographically close as possible to people with sight loss.
We are convinced that the individual diversity of people and dogs forms a valuable basis for successful cooperation. Together with you, we will help visually impaired and blind people of multilingual Switzerland to lead a more self-determined life with our dogs.
Involved in the founding and full member of the International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF) and organiser of the IGDF Conferences of 2004 in Lenk-Switzerland, international networking is, so to speak, in our genes. Since 1986, the VBM has been a well-known and non-profit organisation in Switzerland for people with a well-trained guide dog.
We take great care to respect the dignity of both people and dogs. Our actions and decisions are based on the understanding that every living being has a right to be respected and dignified.
About your role
We are currently looking for a qualified Guide Dog and Mobility Instructor with enough experience to serve a region of Switzerland with great independence.
This is a full time position. You will provide guide dog mobility services to visually impaired and blind people, teach Cadet Guide Dog Mobility Instructors as needed, actively assist with further education seminars for our dog handlers, and assess, train and prepare assigned guide dogs for their handlers according to our standards and in accordance with the standards of the IGDF.
The successful candidate will work in the French speaking part of Switzerland but will also be required to travel regularly to our centre in Liestal/Baselland.
- The main responsibility of this post is to train guide dogs of various breeds as a member of the dog training team.
- Providing training, aftercare and follow-up services to guide dog owners in French-speaking Switzerland, ensuring that programmes meet the individual needs of the client and the dog.
- Assess, train and prepare assigned guide dogs according to standards set by the Guide Dog School Liestal | VBM and in accordance with the IGDF.
- Provide instruction and training to prospective guide dog mobility instructors as needed.
What we are looking for
A Guide Dog Mobility Instructor with experience and the following qualities:
- Qualified as a Guide Dog Mobility Instructor from an IGDF accredited organisation.
- At least two years post-qualification experience in guide dogs for the blind
- Very good language skills in French and the ability to communicate in German both orally and in writing.
- Computer literacy and the ability to report fluently in writing
- Confident public appearance
- A valid drivers license.
- Strong communication skills
- Physical aptitude to train dogs and guide dog teams in all weather conditions
- Willingness to represent the Guide Dog School Liestal | VBM in the French speaking part of Switzerland and to assist in fundraising efforts
- Willingness to travel within Switzerland as needed