Contact at organisation: Patrick Glines, Guide Dogs of Texas
Phone: +1 210 984 4420
Guide Dogs of Texas is now in the position to hire a Guide Dog Mobility Instructor (GDMI) to share in our growth. The ideal candidate is an experienced GDMI from an International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF) accredited school who is looking for an opportunity for advancement. You will be working under the guidance of two highly qualified and experienced GDMIs but will also have a great deal of independence in your day to day activities.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED:
- You desire to give input, and help be a part of the team that grows an organization into the next phases of business, with a mission to be the employer of choice in the dog guide industry.
- Creative thinking and diversity is celebrated
- Excellent communication skills
- You possess a desire for continuous self-improvement, working to find ways to do the job better, and continued professional development
- You desire work to be fun with a “work hard, play hard” attitude
- Assessing and providing end-to-end training to dogs, to IGDF standards
- Consistently evaluating dogs throughout training for suitability to meet the high standards required of Guide Dogs of Texas
- Providing direct support and mentorship to apprentice GDMIs. This role will spend a large portion of time training apprentice instructors.
- Interviewing and assessing applicant clients
- Participating in matching qualified dogs to applicants
- Leading all aspects of training with the client and their new guide dog, tailoring instruction to the individual needs of our clients
- Providing after care to graduated teams
- Represent, and speak on behalf of, Guide Dogs of Texas at information sessions, outreach events, and fundraisers
- Assist with training of staff and volunteers
- Qualified as a GDMI from an IGDF accredited school, with 5+ years of experience
- Understanding of positive reinforcement techniques as they apply to training guide dogs.
EQUIPMENT AND COMPUTER OPERATIONS:
Required: Basic computer skills, experience with Microsoft Office products a plus.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES, LICENSES OR REGISTRATIONS:
Required: IGDF GDMI certification; must hold a valid Drivers License with a good record
SUPERVISION: Training on the role, and continuing education, will be provided. However, the candidate will be spending large amounts of time working alone. A self-starter and motivated, independent worker is essential for this role.
PHYSICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS: This is a physically demanding role. This role requires lifting, bending, walking up to 10-12 miles per day, and being on your feet throughout the work shift. Work is performed in a variety of environments, indoors and out. Bending, squatting, reaching, lifting, and handling young, physical dogs up to 80 lbs is necessary. Work is performed in all Texas weather conditions.
WORK SCHEDULE: This job is generally from 7:00am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday. Hours may shift in warm weather to accommodate outdoor training. The role will require flexibility in working some weekends and evenings. The role will require overnight travel throughout Texas.
Applicants must be able to legally work in the USA.