Contact at organisation: Robert Maher, Guide Dogs of the Desert
Phone: 760 329 6257
This full-time position is responsible for the Admissions & Student Services Department in:
- All activity related to students applying to Guide Dogs of the Desert.
- The ongoing support of our alumni.
- Coordinating on-campus training for attaining a Guide Dog.
- Representing GDD in student recruitment and community outreach.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Manages the Admissions & Student Services Team (Admissions & Student Services Associate, Alumni Relations Assistant) and the Residence Team (Residence Manager, Residence volunteers) to ensure quality service to all applicants, students and alumni.
- Directs and coordinates Admissions & Student Services Department to provide contact, engagement, and education in a timely and constructive manner.
- Ensures the timely and effective resolution of student and alumni concerns by monitoring call back strategies with accurate documentation.
- Oversees all alumni communication, follow up and outreach (with consult from Training Department) to assist in developing a thriving community of GDD alumni.
- Conducts/assists in conducting applicant assessments.
- Monitors pre-class communication of new applicants and returning students (with consult from Training Department) that prepares individuals for instruction and expectations for training.
- Oversees the management of the student housing during on-site student residency.
- Oversees communication and contractual processes with students and alumni.
- Mentors, develops, and successfully manages the Admissions & Student Services Team to achieve the strategic objectives of the present and future needs of the department. Leads team members using a performance support process including goal setting, feedback, and development.
- Performs other administrative duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA degree, Masters preferred or equivalent of 5 years’ experience in social work, blind rehabilitation, or related field.
- 5-10 years of related experience in a managerial role preferred.
- Previous experience with the disabled population, the field of visual impairment preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to generate ideas, strategies, recruitment plans and successfully put them into action/implementation.
- This position is highly involved in service to the students and alumni, making sure the school, the training, and its outreach stays student focused. This includes assessing the needs and meeting goals of the student.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, high creativity, and organizational savvy to manage ongoing change in the organization’s environment.
- Must be proficient in latest version of Microsoft Office products.
- Must maintain HIPAA protocols for the security and protection of all client services data and information.
Ability to provide thoughtful leadership on both strategic and tactical aspects of overall school operations and particular department projects.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving, analytical and critical-thinking skills.
- Ability to adapt to unforeseen circumstances and to resolve conflict with minimal assistance.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, take initiative and make recommendations in resolving problems and provide guidance to other staff.
- Excellent project management skills with ability to prioritize multiple activities both independently and in a team environment across technical and operational functions.
- Ability to work independently in a busy, deadline driven, changing environment, managing multiple demands, and working well under pressure.
- Must be able to establish and maintain professional, productive and courteous interactions with employees that promote positive teamwork. This encompasses going beyond giving and receiving instructions and includes but is not limited to (a) performing work activities requiring interacting or speaking with others; and (b) responding appropriately to constructive feedback or suggestions for improvement from executive staff.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Robert Maher, Deputy Director
Guide Dogs of the Desert
P.O. Box 1692
Palm Springs, CA 92263